Monday, April 18, 2011

Life is too short to sit on the sidelines.

If you want something in life you have to reach out and grab it.  If you have kids, work around them.  It is hard to work around the little people in your life, but it is possible. 

Today, we went out doors.  I love that.  I love nature.  It makes me feel that the boundaries I put on myself are a little less limiting.  It makes me feel closer to my maker.  I took my boys on a walk.  One was on a bike, one on scooter and one in a stroller and one sleeping.  It was quite the crew.  We still don't know all the streets around our neighborhood very well, so at each intersection, we took turns deciding which way to turn.  We ended up at a little nature trail.  I was hesitant, but the birds were chirping and calling to me.  We took the path and it was beautiful.  There was a fork in the road and we took one way and we're all excited to go back next time and take the other way.  I even took my heart rate monitor and kept my heart rate up.  Yay!  This little thing, made me happy.  We were only gone for 20 minutes, but that is all it took to boost me up. 

Being out doors is one of the things that makes my heart happy.  It is something that I have missed doing since I started having babies.  Today I was tired.  I almost didn't go, but I did go and that made the difference in my evening.  I'm so glad that I'm not ending this day saying, "I almost went on a walk outside with my boys."  There is little difference in my statements, but the outcome was quite a bit different.

The movement of a gate at the hinge is small, but the result of it's tiny movement is huge.  The end of a long gate moves several times more than the inner part at the hinge.  Our choices, though small, can make a big difference.  This means that we only have to make small changes and if we stay on the same path, big things will happen.  It also means that we have to evaluate our lives often to make sure that our small movements are moving us in the direction we want to go.  If they are not, then make the small changes you need to to get back on track.  Baby steps.



This evening we colored Easter Eggs.  It was a lot of fun to be gathered around the table with excited little boys.  I know these moments are fleeting and some day there will be boys that resist dunking the little white chicken eggs, but right now, in this moment, they all loved it.  And I loved watching them love it. 

My thought for this post.  Life is a roller coaster with lots of ups and downs.  When you're up, enjoy it. Cherish it.  When you're down, hang on.  Work past it.  Do your best - it won't last.  That is life.  We aren't entitled to the ups or the downs.  They happen.  Life is not always great.  That is okay.  That is what makes the highs so much better.  Hang on tight and enjoy the ride.  

Happiness.  Enthusiasm.  Optimism.

No comments:

Post a Comment