Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 4 - Two Compliments for the Day

It was beautiful today.  It was humid and warm but there was a cool breeze.  It has been raining and though there were worms and slugs out in full force, I decided to run/walk on the walking trail behind my gym.  My two oldest kids were at school and my two youngest were in good hands in the baby-sitting room.  It was great to be outside.  Refreshing. 

Years ago I was near the place where Stonehenge is in England and there is another place with stones placed in a circular shape.  There was energy there.  I wanted to do yoga, but back then yoga was less "normal" and I didn't have the guts to mentally block out the stares of others and connect with my soul and the surrounding.  Maybe it was for the best, but there is something special about doing yoga in nature. Until today I have only dared to do it in my backyard, but today after my exercise, I decided to try a few poses.  I actually loved it.  When I did a pose where you look up, it was spiritual.  It was connecting me to something bigger than myself, to the heavens.   The sky was a thick gray.  I knew that behind the gray, there was blue.  And that there is always blue sky behind the gray.  Sometimes life seems a bit thick and gray.  The thing is that whether we can see it or not, there is blue behind the gray. 

Compliment of the day.  There wasn't anyone around as I went through a vinyasa flow, except two grounds keepers.  One of them whom I had greeted yesterday when he pointed out that I had dropped my debit card (thank you very much!) walked over to me and in a strong accent asked if I do "that kind of exercise" everyday.  And that I look so strong.  It felt good to get a compliment, as small as it was.  I realize that as soon as I started staying home with my kids, I don't get complimented very much.  There just are not very many people around.  Either way, I loved my morning, relatively alone, with my thoughts.

I tried a dry sauna for the first time - detoxifing.  I got some reading in too.

And I showered at the gym.  I usually go home and do that while the kids watch a show, but I decided that it would be good all the way around to do it while there.  It was great.  It was fun to get ready for the day in front of a large mirror with a long line of women doing their beauty routine.  When I got to the babysitting place to pick up the boys, Stafford my newly 3 year, old look at me and said, "Mom, ew look bewful."  He touched my caridgan and then pointed out my shoes and said how nice they were.  I guess now that I think of it I got two compliments today.  :)

On my way home I noticed lots of moms and kids at the park.  I decided that I would go and see what would come of it.  There was a woman that I always see at the gym.  Our kids know each other from babysitting.  So I got to know her and her friend while we watched the kids play.  I'm sure I will see more of them there in the coming months.  It is fun to meet people.

I also spent some time playing Super Mario Bros. with my 5 year olds, Warrick.  We really like to work at it together.  Neither one of us is very good, but you got to give us something for effort.  I never realized that the Wii would be a great family thing, but it is.

I find that kids listen to their bodies more than we do. They do yoga poses, naturally. Every kid goes upside down on the couch, don't they? I did when I was a kid. I think they do it instinctively when their brain needs more oxygen - that's what the pose does. I've started taking pictures of my kids as they randomly throughout the day put themselves in a pose. These are of my 5yo. Ignore the underwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment